Wednesday, March 17, 2010

St. Patrick

Today is St. Patrick's Day, my second favorite holiday...and it IS a holiday. I love this day of green, I love dressing up in green clothes and green jewels, putting shamrocks on my face and beads around my neck and taking in a parade! I simply love it. It's a sense of identity in a way, but in others, leaves a hollow feeling that maybe I don't really know who I am or where I come from. St. Patrick knew though. He new who he was born to, who he was taken from, who comforted him and never left his side during his years enslaved in Ireland. He carefully planned his mission in life during his imprisonment so that when he finally escaped, he could dedicate all his remaining life to God. I often wonder what kind of man he appeared to be. What Pagan villagers thought when this stranger appeared, guided by angels, and told them the stories of Christ, how he lived, how he died, how he was resurrected, and how he would be there salvation. Think about it, if someone wandered into your house going on about how he banished all the snakes from the land, you would call the police and he would be hauled off to the nut house. But St. Patrick had a gift. St. Patrick...had God. And somehow converted an entire country to Christianity. If only, we all had St. Patrick's drive. If only we all knew the exact path we are suppose to take and exactly what we are suppose to be doing. St. Patrick was blessed beyond belief. He had the blessing of certainty.



May the road rise up to meet you.

May the wind always be at your back.

May the sun shine warm upon your face,

and rains fall soft upon your fields.

And until we meet again,

May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment